Monday, April 23, 2012

Super Easy Chicken Crockpot Tacos & Baked Shells - Our New Favorite!

So I have a new favorite crockpot recipe. It is, in my opinion, a new staple just like our Chicken Chili.

I warmed this up for days following the night I made it. The leftovers are great! It is so easy, yet it is so good. And the fact that I have learned a simple trick to make regular ol' tortilla shells into baked tortilla shells - well, the combo is magical.

Magical, I tell you.

For the baked shells I just turn the oven on to 300 degrees, sprayed the shells on both sides with Olive Oil cooking spray (I'm sure Pam would work too), and then draped them over the oven rack for about 10 minutes (or to your desired "crunchiness") like so...



I don't know how I didn't think of this a long time ago.

Onto the Easy Crockpot Chicken Tacos. All you need is:

1 pack of taco seasoning (although I keep an extra pack on hand in case I want to add extra)
6 pieces of boneless chicken breast or about 2ish pounds
1 16oz jar of salsa (I used regular Chi Chi's)

Cook on low for 8-10 hours (Especially if chicken is frozen. You might want to even cook on high for a few hours in that case.) Or you can cook on low for 4-6 hours if the chicken is completely thawed.

They are fantastic. Truly the best, and most importantly, the easiest taco dinner I've made in a long time!

Here is a pic from the original recipe website, ours didn't last long enough for pictures :).


They are a tad messy, which is proof that they are fantastic. Messy foods are always the best, right??

It was great in hard shells, soft shells, and even in a mexi-salad!

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Jeni said...

Trying this one :) Thanks for helping me out in the kitchen. I need good ideas.

Marcella{The Life After "Trust Me"} said...

Ok maybe I am just an airhead and I missed it, but how long did you put the torillas in the oven for?

These sound delicious by the way, I am gonna try them tomorrow!!

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Oh sorry! I put them in for about 10 minutes until they were just the way I wanted them. The longer they're in, the more "crunchy" they are :). Hope you love them like we do!

Marcella{The Life After "Trust Me"} said...

Awesome, thank you!!

Tiffany said...

Thank you for the tip on the crunchy taco shells. They sound so yummy. How did they turn out? Because I have to make sure that I closely watch them when I place them on their sides on a pan in the oven, because they try to fold down. lol.

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

They turned out great! You put yours on a pan?

Mommy said...

I make something very similiar to this pretty often. We make nachos out of it. I throw a can of black beans in the mix, and have even added a can of corn. We lay out the tortilla chips, top them with white rice, the chicken mixture, cheese, guacamole - it's one of my favorite meals!

Marva said...

These sound great and easy!

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Those shells??? You ARE a true genius....and totally underpaid. :) The meal sounds delicious!

Laurel said...

So DELICIOUS!

So MESSY!

So EASY!

Thanks for sharing.


:) :) :)