Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Chicken Nuggets You Aren't Afraid To Eat

The kiddos love their nuggets, don't they?

But what the processed nuggets are made of these days? Well, I can't bring myself to serve them at my table anymore. I stopped buying them months ago.

(Not that we don't run through chik-fil-a now and then.)

(The movie Food Inc and this video always remind me why I don't buy them at the grocery.)

SO, I found a good recipe and started making my own. It is super easy. Here are the details...

You will need:

- 16oz of skinless chicken breasts cut into small, bite sized pieces
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 6 tablespoons of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs - I buy whole wheat when I can find them.
- 2 tablespoons Panko
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesean cheese
- Spray Olive Oil

The nice thing is you can add more or less flavoring, or mix in what you think sounds good.

Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray. Put the olive oil in one bowl and the breadcrumbs, Panko and Parmesan cheese in another. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then put in the bowl with the olive oil and mix well so the olive oil evenly coats all of the chicken.


Put a few chunks of chicken at a time into the breadcrumb mixture to coat, then on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the top with olive oil spray then bake 8 - 10 minutes. Turn over then cook another 4 - 5 minutes or until cooked though.


That's it! It really is a quick meal if you have thawed chicken ready to use.

They store well in the fridge, and I am going to investigate how they can be properly frozen - cause how convenient would that be!?

I promise you will not be let down, our kiddos loved them!!

7 comments:

Romberg Family said...

I do almost the same thing! I dip them in egg then coat them with bread crumbs. I cant stand the frozen chicken nuggets either!

Marva said...

This sounds awesome! Thanks for the recipe! Can't stand all the processed junk in the frozen ones or even McDonald's! Wish we had a Chic Fil A closer. I think theirs is real "chicken". ;)

Blessings!

Steph said...

I make similar, too! But, I egg wash them instead of olive oil. I also pan fry them, but I am going to try to bake them next!

I do freeze them, and I put them on a dish, freeze them for an hour or so, then put them all into a ziplock bag! It works great!

The Beaver Bunch said...

I do the same thing w/ Italian Bread Crumbs. Except, i don't coat them w/ anything and before I bake them, I drizzle them w/ butter.

Makes the outsides a little crispy and the insides nice and juicy. YUM.

Recipe Wrangler said...

The best way to freeze them is to bake them, cool them and place them on the baking sheet in the freezer for a few hours. Then pop them in a zipper bag. Great recipe, can't wait to try it!

Marisa said...

Sounds yummy! I don't consider myself too much of a food snob, but it kills me to feed the kids nuggets from McD**ald's or W*ndy's. They certainly don't taste as good as I remember from my childhood...maybe it's because I now know how they processed now. Thanks for the recipe.

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Thanks Recipe Wrangler, I am going to freeze mine that way for sure! Hope you all enjoy them like we did!