So, I am turning 31 tomorrow.
Thats right, 31! Remember last year when I celebrated my baby boy belly and entering my 30's on the same night? Good times.
So just for kicks, here is a random number of things that I learned and/or accepted after I entered the land of the 30's. The Lord has taught me more this year than I was ready for.
Here we go...
1. The 30's are a freeing season.
2. With age comes confidence. And the ability to not care what other people think.
3. My Mother was right. About everything.
4. I don't have to be, nor am I ever going to be the perfect mom. Just getting out of bed in the morning is a success considering that there will be poop and spit up and the probability that the children will continue to describe me and my clothes as "big" in my near future. No wonder us moms want to sleep in.
5. Love your friends. God has placed specific women by your side for a reason. That girlfriend that will listen to you cry and can also make you laugh till you cry is a gift. Embrace her.
6. Playdoh and carpet is like gum and hair. It's never pretty.
7. Staying home on Friday nights in an effort to not miss one episode of Dateline and 20/20 confirms that you are no longer cool in the eyes of the youth.
8. Marriage can be hard, but it is so worth the work.
9. Starbucks does indeed make your day better.
10. Kids are the most humbling mirror I've ever had. They are listening, imitating, and repeating. It's time to think before you speak or act.
11. Pray for patience. And then pray for some more. You're going to need a lot of it, cause raising kids isn't easy.
12. Grandmas have the ability to save you before you go off the deep end.
13. Just be upfront and honest, even if it's uncomfortable. It will save relationships, and more importantly, it will clear your mind so you can move on regardless of the outcome.
14. Never say never. You're just setting yourself up to eat your words. Eventually you realize that character t-shirts aren't the end of the world, clean faces and matching socks aren't always on a kids agenda, and your child is also capable of a meltdown in a crowded store.
15. It's ok to admit you're struggling. God does so much work in you when you are vulnerable.
16. Choose clothes carefully...and from the age appropriate department. Classy is your new trendy.
17. If filling my house with children is wrong, then I don't want to be right.
18. The old saying is true, "You need to take care of yourself so you can take care of them.". A healthy you makes a healthy mama, inside and out.
19. I don't need to apologize for my kids when they are just being kids. If you don't like it, you can switch checkout lanes. I'm done crushing their curious spirits just cause Mr. Grumpy standing behind us has had a bad day. Ahem.
20. The housework will always be there, the kids are only little once. Even though I love when my laundry system is in full swing, all that really matters is that the kids have clean underwear somewhere, in some basket, or some pile. Right?
21. Paint nails, play hair salon, read books, and play peek-a-boo even when you have SO much else to do. Those are the most important moments, with the most important people :).
I'm thankful for an amazing year filled with His grace.
Here's to the 30's!
Friday, March 9, 2012
So, I am turning 31 tomorrow.